Bylaw Services Department
Bylaw Services Department
What Does "Proactive" Mean?
- Observing violations and investigating an offence;
- Conducting inspections to verify compliance; and
- Public awareness and preventative initiatives.
What Does "Reactive" Mean?
- Investigations that are initiated in response to a complaint.
Complaints are kept confidential, however, your information must be provided when filing a complaint. Anonymous complaints will not be accepted. The City seeks to obtain voluntary compliance on most issues through education and constructive, respectful dialogue.
Click here for print version of the Bylaw Complaint Process infographic.
With the summer months behind us, the City is reminding residents to remove boats, recreational vehicles, travel trailers, and utility trailers from city streets and boulevards.
Under Traffic Control Bylaw #4670, no vehicle shall be parked on the street for the purpose of storage. This bylaw is in place to help reduce parking congestion, increase pedestrian safety, improve sightlines and ensure efficiency of street sweeping, snow removal, and garbage collection services.
For more information, click here.
- This is a matching grant opportunity to business owners and is live effective today. You may download the application package below or obtain a hard copy at the bylaw office. Applications can be submitted by email or in person to the Manager of Bylaw Services (see contact information below).
- Download the Enhanced Security Initiative Program Application Package
- We welcome calling in or emailing (email@example.com) – we only require the address where the graffiti is located (no other information is required). We welcome public or private property reports (all graffiti observed)
- Download the Graffiti Removal Program Package
- The City of Port Alberni Noise Control Bylaw regulates or prohibits the making or causing of noises or sounds that disturb the quiet, rest, peace, enforcement or convenience of individuals or the public and includes:
- From 11:00pm - 9:00am: Amplification of sound, including radios and stereophonic equipment is not permitted.
- From 10:00pm - 7:00am: Noise due to construction is not permitted.
- Prohibited at any time: Noise caused by any domestic animal or bird that is persistent and creates a disturbance by its cries, barks, or howls.
- The City of Port Alberni Property Maintenance Bylaw prohibits the accumulation of filth, discarded materials, rubbish, and other noxious or offensive matter on property.
- The City of Port Alberni Building Standards Bylaw sets the standard for building maintenance and regulating vacant buildings.
- The City of Port Alberni Traffic Regulation Bylaw is enacted pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Act, the Local Government Act, and the Highways Act to regulate the traffic and use of highways within City limits.
- Parking within the City is enforced primarily by a parking commissionaire, as well as Bylaw Officers and the R.C.M.P.
- It is illegal to post signage on City owned property without authorization. The Bylaw Officer will remove signage when it is illegally posted.
- Private Property: signage installation is regulated by the Sign Bylaw and a Sign Permit must be approved. Contact the City Building Inspector at 250-720-2832 for more information.
- Pursuant to the Traffic Regulation Bylaw, owners or occupiers of any premises in a business district shall remove snow from sidewalks and footpaths bordering the property owned or occupied by them not later than 12 noon of any day except Sundays and other holidays.