INFORMATION SHEET: Swimming Pools
Swimming pools can be a source of fun and relaxation. Before you install or renovate a swimming pool make sure you know what the requirements are.
- A Building Permit must be obtained prior to commencing or continuing any work related to the installation, construction or alteration of a swimming pool or related ancillary equipment.
- Detached and enclosed swimming pools are subject to the Accessory Building setbacks and requirements detailed in the Zoning Bylaw.
- Swimming pools must not be located less than 2.0m from any lot line.
- Swimming pools may not be located in a Front Yard (as defined in the Zoning Bylaw)
- Unenclosed swimming pools are subject to fencing requirements as follows:
- Fences shall be constructed around the perimeter of swimming pools and shall not be less than 1.85 metres (6 feet) high, and not more than 2.4 metres (8 feet) high.
- The base of every fence shall be not more than 100 millimetres (4 inches) above ground or adjacent grade;
- No horizontal or angled framing member shall be located on the outside of the fence between 100 millimetres (4 inches) and 900 millimetres (36 inches) above ground level or adjacent finished grade;
- Fences composed of vertical members shall have no openings of a size which will permit the passage of a spherical object having a diameter of 100 millimetres (4 inches);
- Fences composed of angle members shall have no openings between adjacent members greater than 13 millimetres (1/2 inch);
- Standard chain link wire mesh may be acceptable provided that such fence is a minimum of 1.85 metres (6 feet) in height;
- Access through required fences shall be by means of self-closing gates so designated as to cause the gates to become secured with self-latching devices located on the swimming pool side of the fence and at a height of at least 1 metre (3.281 feet) above grade at the outside of the fence, or on the outside of the fence at 1.5 metres (4.921 feet) above grade.